Have you been experiencing fatigue? Brain fog? Weight Gain? Decreased sexual function?
The symptoms of “aging” you are experiencing are often signs of a hormonal imbalance. While these are part of the normal aging process, we know they are not ideal. The good news is, you don’t have to just deal with them, they can be treated! Hormone replacement therapy can restore and balance your hormone levels for revitalized energy, clarity, and wellness. Through bioidentical hormone replacement therapy, we are able to replace the lost hormones and balance them in a way that not only provides symptomatic relief, but also provides long term health protective benefits.
11 Unexpected Benefits of Bioidentical Hormone Replacement Therapy
- Improvement in moods
- Weight loss
- Increased ability to gain muscle
- Improved sexual function
- Increased energy levels
- Increased memory and focus
- Improvement with anxiety and depression
- Improved sleep
- BHRT may also have positive long-term effects such as protection from heart disease, stroke, osteoporosis, and some cancers.
- BHRT may result in decreases in visceral body fat, resulting in these as well as other benefits.
- Some association has also been seen between BHRT and decreased incidence of Alzheimer’s disease.
What are the symptoms of a hormone imbalance?
Hormone imbalance affects both men and women at various ages. Beginning as early as your 30’s, you may begin to experience symptoms of the hormone imbalances that come from aging.
Symptoms of menopause in women may include:
- Mood swings
- Hot flashes
- Loss of libido
- Weight gain
- Vaginal dryness
Symptoms of adropause (loss of testosterone in men) may include:
- Inability to fain muscle
- Weight gain
- Sexual dysfunction
How do I know if I need hormone therapy?
If any of the symptoms above describe you, there is a good chance you might benefit from bioidentical hormone replacement therapy. This can be determined by discussing your medical history and symptoms with our provider during your first visit, as well as through an in-depth assessment of labs. Once this information is all obtained, together with our provider, you will make a plan that works for you and start replacement therapy as needed.
What are “bioidentical” hormones?
The goal of BHRT (bioidentical hormone replacement therapy) is to restore optimal levels of hormones in the body. Unlike synthetic hormones, which can lead to toxic by-products and negative side effects, bioidentical hormones are hormones that are chemically matched to those produced by our bodies naturally. Because bioidentical hormones are biologically identical to those produced by your body, studies have found that they are safe and effective and do not come with the same health risks that synthetic hormones do.
What form do the hormones come in?
Bioidentical hormones come in several forms including creams, injections, oral tablets, sublingual troches, vaginal inserts, and pellets. At Mountain Valley Wellness we prescribe all except for pellets. We determine the form based on patient preference and ultimately which will be most beneficial to the patient.
Who will I be working with?
Ashlee Williams is our hormone therapy expert here at Mountain Valley Wellness! Ashlee is a certified Nurse Practitioner and is passionate about truly listening to her patients and helping them get back to balance and optimum wellness.
How much does hormone therapy cost?
- We designed our “Wellness Game Plan” for $499 to be a tailored process for getting you on the right path to wellness. These steps include:
- A comprehensive in-person review of your medical history and symptoms
- Lab draw (cost of outside labs are not included in this cost and may be determined by your insurance if used)
- Follow-up lab review appointment
- Game plan for hormone replacement therapy use and prescriptions sent to compounding pharmacy
- A 3-month follow up appointment to assess efficacy and tolerance of hormone replacement therapy
- After the first 3 months, a separately-billed appointment is recommended every 3-6 months to discuss continued therapy.
- Hormones are provided through a compound pharmacy. At MVW we primarily use Mt. Olympus pharmacy, but can use another of your choice. Cost of hormones will depend on the pharmacy and your insurance, if covered. (The price of the actual hormone replacement is not covered in the “game plan” cost.)
Are there any risks in doing bioidentical hormone replacement therapy?
Bioidentical hormones have the same molecular structure as the hormones that are produced naturally in our bodies. Because of this, the side effects are minimal and much less than those seen with synthetic hormones. Side effects usually include symptoms of too much or too little hormone while in the process of balancing them to the optimal levels. For example, when working to increase estrogen levels a woman may experience symptoms of elevated estrogen, such as breast tenderness, initially. Levels can then be adjusted based on these side effects. Synthetic hormones – which we do not recommend or use – are associated with many side effects. By using bioidentical hormones, these side effects and risks can be eliminated.